About Me

My photo
Married the Navy and the man who joined in April 2004. We have 3 awesome kids. The Navy keeps us moving, we spent 5 years in Hawaii and are currently doing a 3 year stretch in San Diego, and I can't wait to see where we end up next.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Flash Gold: Book 1 in the Flash Gold chronicless

I ran across these little novella's while searching a few blogs.  Every now and then a blog will post about freebies and I'll go check em out and see if it tickles my fancy.
Flash Gold tickled my fancy.  I had heard about Steam Punk novels, but have never read one or come across one.  So this was my first, and it wont' be my last.

This book starts out in the Yukon, in the winter with an 18 year old girl living on her own and lying low to save her life.  Kali McAlister  is the daughter of an alchemist.  An alchemist that had created the world's most powerful energy source, then died.  Leaving his 18 year old daughter with the only known supply and no knowledge of how to make more.  Everyone wants this energy source, known as "Flash Gold".  Kali wants out of the Yukon.  After building her own steam powered "dog" sled, Kali enters a race, the winner gets 1000.00 .  That's enough money to get her started on her next project which will help her get away from the Yukon and all the dangers of man.  Of course, an 18 year old girl all alone on a trail during a dog sled race is bound to call attention to her.  Especially when her sled isn't exactly pulled by dogs.  Enter Cedar.  Her new "bodyguard".  What she doesn't know is that Cedar has a little secret of his own.. And its a shocker...

This was a really good read.  And for my first "Steam Punk" book I was really happy with it.  They aren't very long, Novella's usually aren't, but I think it still took me about an hour and a half or so to read each one which isn't to bad.  The price was good, the book was good, all around good.  Go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment